You may not discover a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow this St. Patrick’s Day, but there are other ways rainbows can make you smile this month. These colorful fruits and veggies are full of flavor and will help keep your smile sparkling.
- Strawberries are a great source of vitamin C, which helps maintain gum health.1
- Red peppers also contain vitamin C, and they come with a host of anti-inflammatory benefits.2
- Pumpkin and carrots have lots of vitamin A, which helps keep mucous membranes healthy and prevent dry mouth. Carrots also contain immunity-strengthening antioxidants.3
- Butternut squash is rich with vitamin C and potassium that helps neutralize acids that remove calcium from the body.4
- Yellow peppers have anti-inflammatory benefits and vitamin C.5
- Cheeses contain calcium that helps build strong bones and teeth.
- Leafy greens contain vitamin K that helps block substances that break down bone, promoting good bone density. They are also a good source of calcium.6
- Broccoli contains folic acid that helps keep your gums healthy and can help prevent cleft lip and palate during pregnancy.
- Blueberries are a rich source of vitamin C and vitamin K.7
- Eggplant contains vitamin C, vitamin K and potassium. It also has folic acid that builds strong bones and helps prevent osteoporosis.8
- Acai berries have antioxidants to strengthen immunity.9
- Cauliflower has vitamin C and antioxidants. It’s also an anti-inflammatory and a great substitute for starchy grains in diets.10
- Plain yogurt promotes strong teeth and bones by being rich in calcium.