Whether you are looking to purchase a dental insurance plan on your own or you are a business owner looking for a dental plan for your employees, your benefits broker is responsible for understanding your unique needs and using that information to recommend the best coverage options you.1 While they’re trained to gather and convey the right information, it can be helpful to know beforehand what questions to ask your broker. Consider the questions below.
Evaluating a dental benefits carrier
- Does the dental benefits carrier have a good reputation and provide good customer service?
- What is the carrier’s dental network like? How large is it and what percentage of dentists nationwide does it cover?
- With what degree of accuracy does the carrier process claims?
- Does the carrier offer options for businesses such as voluntary plans and employer-paid plans?
- Can plans be customized for businesses?
- How will the carrier help businesses streamline the enrollment process for their employees?
Understanding a plan
- What type of plan is it – preferred-provider, HMO, dental savings plan or other?
- What is the cost of the plan?
- What benefits are included?
- How are routine cleanings and checkups covered?
- What services other than routine cleanings and checkups are covered?
- What exclusions or limitations exist?
- Does the plan offer enhanced benefits for individuals with certain conditions such as heart disease or diabetes?
- What happens if a member experiences an oral health emergency while traveling?
- Are there waiting periods for certain services?
- What educational resources does the carrier offer?
- What self-service tools and administration services does this carrier provide?