Dental benefits may not be at the top of your list of the things to be thankful for this season, but having a healthy smile is definitely something to appreciate. Here are five reasons to be thankful for dental benefits from Delta Dental of Illinois!
1. Saving money! Visiting a Delta Dental PPO network dentist helps keep your out-of-pocket costs low, since network dentists agree to pre-established fees. Delta Dental PPO network dentists also can’t balance bill you for covered services (i.e., billing patients for the difference between their regular fee and the pre-established fee).
2. Large PPO network. Delta Dental of Illinois’ PPO network is one of the largest networks in the nation, so there is a good chance your dentist is in our network.
3. Covered preventive services. Most Delta Dental of Illinois plans cover preventive services such as exams and cleanings at 100 percent, meaning no out-of-pocket cost to you.
4. Better overall health. Dental benefits improve your overall health in addition to your oral health. Studies show that people with dental benefits are more likely to visit the dentist, and people who visit the dentist regularly are more likely to report good overall health compared to those who don’t keep regular dental appointments.1 Your dentist may also be able to identify the oral symptoms of over 120 diseases, including diabetes and heart disease.2
5. Enhanced benefits. Some plans include enhanced benefits that provide people who have certain health conditions with additional services, such as extra cleanings and exams.
1 2014 Delta Dental of Illinois Oral Health & Well-Being Survey
2 Steven L. Bricker, Robert P. Langlais, and Craig S. Miller, Oral Diagnosis, Oral Medicine and Treatment Planning (Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger, 1994).